In this training video, Epic Fitness Trainer Truman Wood explains how to perform the Valslide variation of the Mountain Climber exercise from the gym at West 6th Tempe. This movement is a calisthenic exercise that focuses on the core, chest, triceps, shoulders, and quadriceps while taxing the cardiovascular system.
The keys on this movement are:
- Start with good spinal alignment
- Engage core throughout the exercise
- Pick a spot 12″ in front of your hands to focus on
- Drive your knee toward your chest with each repetition
- Keep the range of motion as large as possible with each stride
This movement is a progression from a traditional mountain climber, and can be further intensified by speeding the shuffle rate or holding an isometric pushup position during the movement.